Meal planning can be overwhelming at times.
But the fact is, that ever so common question, “What’s for dinner?”, is just looming around the corner. So preparing beforehand makes things much easier when we hear those all too familiar words.
After all, being prepared was part of what made that lovely and oh-so wise lady of Proverbs 31 able to “laugh at the days to come.” (v.25b, NIV)
And who of us wouldn’t mind to laugh more and stress less?!
So, today I’d like to share with you something that has transformed my time in the kitchen and helps me be a little more prepared for the coming week-Crockpot Chicken!
- I spend less time overall on thawing, cooking and preparing meals + less time cleaning!
- It’s versatile. Can be as simple or flavorful as you like and you can use whatever you have on hand to season it!
- A healthy protein is on hand as a base for a variety of meals. (scroll down for meal inspo!)
- Figuring out meals is easier because I just choose a few from my chicken recipe list.
- I can literally cook food for the week while I’m sleeping!
Here are photo step-by-step directions. Scroll down for printable recipe card with ingredient list and more detailed instructions.
A small chicken normally renders around 6 Cups of meat and plenty of broth.
Ideas for how to Use Your Chicken & Broth
Other Meal Options include: Vegetable Soup, Chicken + Bacon Lettuce Roll-ups, Chicken Pot Pie, BBQ Sandwiches, Chicken Salad Sandwiches, White Chicken Chili, Mushroom + Wild Rice Soup, Chicken Tacos, etc.
Crockpot Chicken Recipe
-1 Organic Whole Chicken*
-7 Tbsp Gluten Free Apple Cider Vinegar
-1 Bunch Parsley
-1 Tbsp dried Thyme
-1 Tbsp dried Oregano
-3-5 Bay Leaves
-2-3 organic Celery Sticks, roughly chopped
-2-3 Carrots, peeled + roughly chopped OR handful of organic baby carrots
-5-8 C. Water
-1 1/2 Tbsp Salt (optional)
1. Remove packaging from chicken, including the bag of offal located in cavity of bird, and rinse well. Remove any remaining feathers.
2. Loosen the skin of the chicken by running your hand between it and the muscle breaking any fibers.
3. Season the breast and legs w/ some of the salt, thyme & oregano. Put a few small slices of onion, celery, carrot, as well as some fresh parsley underneath the skin and in the cavity of the bird.
4. Flip chicken, breast side down in crockpot.
5. Add any remaining spices, carrots, etc.and offal, if desired.
6. Add Apple Cider Vinegar (helps to draw out nutrients, etc. from bones) and fill to the top with water. NOTE: Be sure to leave enough space so lid can close securely w/o water spilling over.
7. Turn on low heat for 8-10 hrs. Check doneness by piercing chicken with a knife between leg and thigh. When juices run clear, it is done.
8. While still hot, using tongs and/or fork, remove skin & meat from bones.
*Any toxins, etc. that the bird has ingested are most concentrated in the bones, fat and marrow. So, when making bone broth, buying organic helps to avoid much of these.
If this post was helpful, be sure to like it and subscribe so you don’t miss out on more like this one!
Be Kind. Be Encouraging. Be a Multiplier!
So, what’s for dinner at your house tonight?
5 thoughts on “Crockpot Chicken Recipe-1 Chicken, 6+ Meal Ideas (Master Your Meal Planning!)”